Lodz was a complete surprise. We went to Lodz to visit the ghetto and see where two of the survivors had lived before the war. As we pulled into town, we stopped at the train station used by the Nazi’s that is now a museum and memorial. We saw an entire German train complete with the original engine and three boxes. The station had the actual German exportation papers (encased in plexiglass) that you can research and we looked for the families’ of our survivors. They had a monument that included tombstones for the different camps that people were sent to from the station. The size of the stone represented the number of deaths. It was very humbling.

When we arrived, we drove through the town and it looked very run down. Lodz was an industrial town with lots of factories which have all closed down because of competition from Asia. We started to get worried about our hotel…..it looked very scary…but when we went to the section of town where our hotel was, it was nice. We checked in, and went down to a street that was redone for art and shopping. It was very nice and we discovered a lot of culture. We had authentic Polish food and I discovered that the new thing in Lodz was the Silent Disco. Since this didn’t make any sense to me, a few of us arranged to go. Our guides first took us to a traditional disco so we could compare..the disco played weird edits of American popular music edited into disco beats (In the mood, rock around the clock, runaround sue, etc). Finally, the Silent Disco opened….it was in the middle of a parking lot, two DJs were there. You gave your ID and some money to the table and they gave you a pair of wireless headphones with three channels. Everyone was dancing silently in the parking lot. You put on the headphones and you and your friends decide which channels to dance together on….if the mix starts to get bad, you switch channels. Smoking is still a big thing here, and many, if not most Poles smoke. There are no smoking laws.

The next day we traveled to the largest Jewish Cemetery in the world (almost 100 acres). The cemetery was all overgrown because of a variety of reasons. We found one of the Toledo survivor’s graves and cleared the area and cleaned it up. Afterwards, we donated time helping a group of volunteers clear an area of the cemetery. I was assigned to run brush…the group was attempting to cut down trees with rose pruners. I asked why they didn’t have a saw and they said there was no money…all the tools had been donated. I donated some money for a handsaw. When we got back, we went to a mall made from an old factory. We took a factory tour and discovered it was one of the largest textile factories in the world that closed in 1997. It was redesigned by a French firm as an upscale mall with lots of fancy restaurants. At night, we took a walking tour of the city (from an artist who organizes events).

The next day, it rained. Some of the group went to the Lodz archives to do research. Since I can not read Polish (or German), I decided to explore ghetto sites I found in a walking tour pamphlet. I got directions to the former Gestapo Headquarters and headed out. Before I left, I went to a store to buy some clothes to better blend in. I got a pair of Polish style jeans and a jacket (I didn’t expect it to be so cold). The walk was long. On the way, I found the ghetto wall and the place where the ghetto bridge had been. I crossed the street where the bridge had been and entered the ghetto. That was a dark deep feeling. The ghetto was in the run down section. I walked through it (getting lost multiple times) and finally found gestapo headquarters, which is now a pharmacy. My feet were soaked, so I decided to go back to the Manufktury (factory mall). I thought I knew the correct way, but ended up getting lost in Communist residential housing for almost two hours. I finally found the mall, had Polish Indian food (it was OK) and returned to the hotel. When I arrived, we had a debriefing meeting and then we went out for dinner at a Polish Turkish joint.

The next day, July 1, we left Lodz and traveled to a small town where one of our survivors had been attending school. The Nazis destroyed the town because it was 60% Jewish before the war. There are no Jews living there now. We went to a museum where the guide was half historian and half fortune teller. He asked for a volunteer to read my fortune and I volunteered. He told me that I was a star and that it is easy for people to like me. The museum had the entire town’s history…including a bunker with German and Polish collaborator uniforms in it. We ate pizza in the town and set off on another long bus ride to visit an icon and its church. The church was breathtaking…..one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen. I learned a lot about Pope John II (he was Polish and born near the church) and Polish history. We loaded back on the bus and finally arrived in Krakow. We are staying in the same resort that the SS used for vacations (which is a strange feeling). We watched the US football game…..the US lost….and I went to my room and recorded a rough demo of Robo Bootie (Roboty).



Two Holocaust Survivors

Welcome to my blog. I am going to use this site to document my experiences in the Walking Witness Project.

Here is the website for the project: http://www.bearingwitnesstoledo.com/index.html

This is day five of the six day pre travel experience. On the first day, we viewed the Bearing Witness: The Voices of Our Survivors documentary On Monday, we learned how to frame pictures, use the Canon Rebel T3i camera, and use video during the morning. One of the best things I learned was using the grid and the rule of thirds.  After lunch, we traveled to the B’nai Israel Synagogue.  At the synagogue, we were introduced to Jewish services and got to meet and talk with Cantor Ivor Lichterman. The Cantor is an a cappella singer that leads the service. He shared the Byzantine sheet music and explained how to read and perform it. His father was the last Cantor in Warsaw before the war.


We also met Joel Marcovitch the Jewish Federation of Greater Toledo CEO who shared current issues in the Jewish community. David Weinberg lectured us on the history of anti semitism.

On Tuesday, David Weinberg presented a brief history of the holocaust.  Then we met our guide for Greece, Marcia Haddad Ikonomopoulos. She introduced us to the holocaust in Greece. I was not familiar with Greece’s experience in the holocaust which happened late in the war after the Italians were defeated.

Holy Trinity

In the afternoon, we traveled to the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Toledo, Ohio. Rev. Hadgigeorge discussed differences in the different ways to practice Judaism and showed us the beautiful cathedral. Then we went to the archive room in the Toledo Public library and learned about research from Donna Christian. We finished the day with a Greek meal downtown at Mano’s.

rail car

On Wednesday, we visited the Holocaust Memorial in Farmington Hills Michigan. Here, we met and talked with two holocaust survivors. We also toured the museum which includes an actual German railcar. We met with Guy Stern and Feiga Weiss learning how to research survivors and thoughts on educating students about the holocaust. Some of the interesting things at this museum was the seedling from the tree Anne Frank looked at in her book and money used in the ghetto.

On Thursday, we spent the morning talking about lesson planning and reflecting on what we have learned so far. After lunch, we learned about Theatre for Social Change from Aimee Reid. This presentation opened up some new lesson plan ideas for my students where they will create tableau scenes.


Aimee Reid

We finished the day discussing lesson plan ideas and cross curricular communication.